Cooking Corner Lemons
Today, I would like to talk about the humble Lemon. You know….
that forgotten tree that is growing in your backyard, producing lots of lemons that you don’t know what to do with?
Lemons are great for the body, because they are packed full of healthy vitamins and antioxidants, such as Vitamin C, Vitamin B6, Calcium, Iron, Folate and full of fibre. Lemons can be great for your complexion and immune system….so try kickstarting your day with a glass of warm lemon water!
Did you know!?
- They also say a good hot lemon drink is perfect to ward off those nasty colds too!
- Did you know that you can deodorise your chopping board by rubbing fresh lemon juice over it?
- How many times have you noticed your avocado browning in the fridge when making guacamole? Try squeezing some fresh lemon juice onto the guacamole to keep it looking fresh and green in colour.
It is also believed, that lemon juice can keep your white clothes brighter, by placing the undiluted juice into the washing machine prior to washing your clothes. They will come out smelling nice and fresh too!
My recipe for a delicious home baked Lemon Meringue Pie:
- 1.5 cups of plain flour
- 2 tablespoons of icing sugar
- 125g chilled butter (chopped)
- 2.5 tablespoons of iced water
Kneed all the pastry ingredients together to form a dough. Make a disc shape and wrap in cling wrap and place in fridge for half an hour until firm. Then roll out and with rolling pin and carefully place in a non-stick pie dish. Trim overhanging pastry edges, then line pastry dish with baking paper and fill with rice (to keep pastry flat in the dish) and bake at 180 degrees for 20 mins, until crisp and golden. Take out of the oven.
- 1/3 cup cornflour
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1 cup of freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups of castor sugar
- 60g of butter (coarsely chopped)
- 4 eggs
- Combine cornflour, water, lemon and half the sugar in a saucepan and whisk over heat until mixture thickens. Keep stirring constantly for about 4 mins.
- Take saucepan off the heat and mix in the butter and egg yolks.
- Transfer lemon mixture into a bowl, cover with cling wrap and place in fridge to cool.
- Then beat the egg whites with a handheld mixer, and gradually add the remaining sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Take lemon mixture out of fridge and pour into the cooked pastry base.
- Top with the creamy thick meringue and place in at hot oven for 5 mins or until the peaks turn a golden brown.
Until next time……